Day #9 in 365 Things To Do in Glendale– take a tour of the Doctor’s House. After all, it is just yards away from Day #8, the Japanese Tea House.
The Doctors House, an authentically restored Queen Anne-Eastlake style home built about 1888, is the result of a community-wide endeavor to preserve a reminder of Glendale’s earliest days. The two story house originally stood at 921 East Wilson Avenue. It became known as The Doctors House because it was residence and office space for three prominent early Glendale physicians. Before this time the home was occupied by Nell Shipman, a significant Canadian silent screen star. She is best known for her work in James Oliver Curwood stories and for portraying strong, adventurous women.
When it was threatened with demolition in 1979, citizens, including the newly reconstituted Glendale Historical Society, banded together to relocate it to Brand Park. They then restored the house to its late 19th century appearance, and furnished and decorated it in the style of the period. Today the Doctors House serves as a museum and popular spot for community events during the holidays. Click here for an amazing pictorial tour of the house.
There are docent led tours most Sundays, 2-4 pm